BayView Park at 68th Street in Brant Beach is the premier bayfront
sailing spot on the Island. Located directly across the boulevard
from the Long Beach Township Municipal Building, this Public Park offers
access to some of the best flat-water sailing in New Jersey.
Water and launch
• The protected cove area close to the beach is shallow and offers a great venue for instruction and beginner to novice sailors. More advanced sailors will find a 3 mile wide open bay area between the island and the mainland shoreline.
• Just past the marked channel, large sand bars can be found where the water is very shallow. At low tide this can remove fins, so beware.
• Further out in the bay the water gets deeper again, but at low tides, it may be possible to find water shallow enough to stand up in.
Wind and sailing conditions
• The prevailing winds during summer are from the South with a substantial boost from thermal convection created by cool ocean water and hot inland air temps. Coupled with limited cloud cover, these thermals reliably kick in early afternoon and usually reach into the mid 20’s and can hold until sunset.
• Frontal winds occur during the entire year but are more prevalent during the Spring and Fall season. Northerly winds tend to be short lived but can produce some epic conditions.
• During mid to late summer there are large floats of eel grass necessitating the use of weed shedding fins.
Parking, Rigging and Facilities:
• No charge for parking but a beach pass is required during the summer season.
• Restrooms are open during the summer season. A convenient Outdoor Shower and running water is available just outside of the restroom facility.
• For BAYVIEW DOG PARK violations or concerns call Long Beach Township Police @ 609-494-3322 (911 for Emergencies) or Long Beach Island Dept of Health @ 609-492-1212
From Garden State Parkway, take exit 63 and head east
on route 72. After 7.4 miles (crossing the bridge onto the island) turn
right onto South Long Beach Blvd at the T junction. Head South for 2.6
miles then turn right into Bayview Park parking lot, opposite 68th
street (Meade Ave) and directly opposite the tennis courts and ball
field associated with Long Beach Township Municipal Buildings.
From Philadelphia, take PA Turnpike I-276 East over NJ Turnpike connector bridge, follow signs for New York and North, merge onto northbound NJ Turnpike one exit to #7, Bordentown US-206. After toll booth, stay straight and follow signs for US-206 South. After 18 miles at traffic circle, take the 3rd exit onto Rte-70. Travelling about 8 miles to traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto Barnegat Rd/NJ-72/Rte-72, Continue to follow Rte-72 28 miles onto the island. Right on Boulevard Head South for 2.6 miles then turn right into Bayview Park parking lot, opposite 68th street (Meade Ave) and directly opposite the tennis courts and ball field associated with Long Beach Township Municipal Buildings.